Data Scientist Roles and Responsibilities
“A data scientist is someone better at statistics than any software engineer and better at software engineering than any statistician”. Data science is often used to define a new profession with capable practitioners in many areas. Data scientist implies the ability to work with large volumes of data generated not by studies, but by ongoing organizational processes.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Data Scientist:
1. Conduct undirected research and frame open-ended industry questions.
2. Extract vast volumes of data from multiple internal and external sources.
3. Employ sophisticated analytics programs, machine learning and statistical methods to prepare data for use in predictive and prescriptive modelling.
4. Thoroughly clean and prune data to discard irrelevant information.
5. Explore and examine data from various angles to determine hidden weaknesses trends and opportunities.
6. Devise data-driven solutions to the most pressing challenges.
7. Invent new algorithms to solve problems and build new automation tools.
8. Recommend cost-effective changes to existing procedures and strategies.
9. Communicate predictions and findings to management and the IT department through effective data visualization and reports.
10. Every company will have a different take on job tasks. Some treat their data scientists as glorified data analysts or combine their duties with data engineers.