Advantages and Disadvantages of Mobile Cloud Computing
Advantages of Mobile Cloud Computing:
1. Flexibility: It allows one to access data from the cloud from anywhere through the mobile network.
2. Real-time application: Since all the data and applications are managed externally through the cloud, they can be updated and accessed in real-time with very little effort and also enable simultaneous access across multiple devices thus encouraging collaborative working.
3. Multiple platform support: Since the data and applications are stored in the cloud with mobile cloud computing, it is not mandatory to stick to a certain platform, thus enabling multiple platform support.
4. Low-cost option: Depending on your volume of usage, Mobile Cloud Computing is mostly free of upfront cost or has a minimal upfront cost. Like any other pay-for-use service, it comes without the hefty fees charged for licensing and upgrades.
Disadvantages of Mobile Cloud Computing:
1. Data security: It is the major concern when it comes to cloud computing. Even though there are options available to encrypt as well as password-protect the data, it can still lead to major damages if there is a security breach and not undertaken properly.
2. Performance issues and connectivity: Since Mobile Cloud Computing is internet driven, your location and access to the internet will affect your functioning. For example, in an area with only a 2G network, expect slow access.