SQL is the standard language for making queries in relational database management packages such as SQL Server, Ingress, Sybase, Oracle, etc. The Standard language for accessing client/server databases is also SQL.
Features of SQL Language:
i. Schema Definition statements
ii. Temporary tables
iii. Built-in join operators
iv. Read-only, scrollable and dynamic cursors
v. Standardized connection procedure
vi. Standardized error codes and diagnostics
vii. Altering and dropping objects.
Characteristics of SQL in DBMS:
The Characteristics of SQL is as stated below:
1. SQL is oriented specifically around relational databases.
2. SQL commands can operate on several groups of tables as single objects. It also processes any quantity of information, retrieved from these tables as a single unit.
3. SQL allows the use of temporary tables. Temporary tables are used for storing intermediate results. They are useful only for the duration the program is in execution, and get deleted when the program terminates.
4. SQL is well suited to a client-server environment, where the DBMS resides on a server and services the client’s requests.
5. SQL can execute the queries against the database.
6. SQL provides flexible transaction management. A transaction is a group of SQL statements that succeed or fail as a group. That is if any one of the SQL statements fails, the whole transaction is aborted.
7.SQL allows users to create domains as objects in a schema. The users can then declare table columns to be of domains rather than data types.
8. SQL allows one to specify constraints. Constraints are rules for restricting the values that can be placed in a table column.
9. Privileges can be granted or denied using SQL commands. Privileges are the rights to perform actions on database objects.
10. SQL used to create a view, stored procedure, function in a database