Major Achievements of OS
Major Achievements of OS manages computer hardware and software resources. Major Achievements of OS are given as follows:
- Memory Management
- Information Protection & Security
- System Structure
1. Process: A process is a program at the time of execution. The term ‘process’ first used by Daley’s and Dennis.R in 1960. At the time of developing multi-programming, time-sharing and real-time systems some problems are raised due to the timing and synchronization.
2. Memory Management: Here memory means main memory (RAM), the term of memory management specifies how to utilize the memory efficiently. So, the main task of memory management is ‘efficient memory utilization’ and ‘efficient processor utilization’. The responsibility of memory management are given as follows:
3. Information protection and security: Here the term protection means that secure the resources and information from the unauthorized persons. The operating system follows a variety of methods for protection and security.
Generally, the protection mechanism is 3 types :
4. System Structure: Olden days the code for an operating system is very few, later more and more features have been added to the operating systems, the code of the operating system is generally increased.