Mentor and Mentee Roles and Responsibilities
A mentor is a special kind of helper who works with others in a positive, constructive way so that both mentor and mentee have the potential to grow through the relationship.
A member is thus a learning leader who facilitates the learning process for his mentee.
- Mentor provides intentional learning through Multi-channels:
- Coaching, insights, sharing own experiences, guidance modelling, stimulates individual growth, encourages thought-provoking opportunities that help to develop a personal vision, helps protege identify his winning strategy, elicits high commitment to personal change and development.
- Opens door to learning opportunities when possible and appropriate.
- It provides protege exposure to broad networks.
i. Transformational Learning
ii. Beyond the day-to-day.
Mentor Roles and Responsibilities:
1. Career support by encouraging challenging and growth opportunities.
2. Emotional support: Encouragement, recognition, feedback, coaching
3. Support for short-term and/or long-term planning.
4. Access to learning opportunities, resources and networking.
5. keeps the protege on the right track to avoid aimless detours.
A Mentee is the recipient of the Mentor’s guidance and it must be committed to expanding his/her capabilities, be open and receptive to new ways of learning, and have a sense of personal responsibility about the mentoring relationship and his/her own growth & development.
Mentee Roles and Responsibilities:
1. Be committed to expanding his/her capabilities.
2. Be open and receptive to new ways of learning.
3. Be open to feedback.
4. It has a sense of personal responsibility about the mentoring relationship, it takes ownership.
5. It follows through on development plan and coaching for his/her growth and development.